Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday 6th

So, Wednesday evening, we met with the organisers of the Newstead House Q150 Garden Party. The meeting was to discuss both our ideas and their ideas as to what we would be doing and what we would be wearing. As the house was built in the 1840s, the outfit that I am making for my mum is entirely appropriate. Both my mum and dad will be attending, and they be members of Brisbane society. As for myself, I had not yet decided what I would be wearing.

Originally I was under the impression that they were after a bit of a "through the ages" sort of outfits and I was thinking that I would wear an 1870s early bustle dress. Now that it has all been cleared up, we will be wearing outfits from around 1859 and our other dresses may be placed on our mannequins within the rooms of the house. As to which outfit we will put on our mannequins; that will depend entirely on what they decide. For myself, I would not mind putting either my 1860s elliptical crinoline outfit on Polly or my 1907 gown that I am making for April. There is the idea that I could put a 1940s dress on her, which would be appropriate because she is actually a vintage 1940s mannequin (the pointy boobs and tiny waist kind of give this away).

For myself, I have decided what I am going to make. *grin*. As someone who is not really a fan of the round crinoline (don’t know why, it is just not my favourite), I have decided that I would like to dress up as a maid on her day off. As for undergarments, I will aim for 1840s style petticoats, hopefully getting that corded one done. And for my dress I am thinking that I will use a similar pattern to the one I will be using for my 1830s dress. But of course, it will be simpler; as in, a plain cotton fabric dress with ribbons as decoration, a straw bonnet and a tiny basket. I am going for the simple country maid sort of style. I have to say that I am really happy with my decision, now I just need to make a trip over to the fabric shop this weekend and pick up some fabric; (hello $4.50/metre quilters cotton) and of course while I am at it I will get some more petticoat fabric. So far this year I have gone through about 38 metres of the stuff. It’s getting ridiculous that number of petticoats that I have made or cut out, but at least they are all cotton and will starch well. And once I have them all done, I should never have to worry again about making up more petticoats for myself. Phew. Huge relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment