Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adelaide 2010 Day 1

And I am back in Brisbane. Friday last saw me up and rearing to go - heading to Adelaide for the annual Australian Costumers Guild Ball. One thing I can now say for certain, I won't be flying Tiger Airways again. The seats are very upright with little knee room, the luggage weight allowance is only 15 kilos and our flight was horrendously late. I am talking 1 1/2 hours late. So we sat at the airport eating absurdly overpriced food for lunch waiting on our flight. I was not a very happy camper. Because to top it off, I was meeting my Great Aunt and family for dinner at 6pm. By the time we got our luggage and out of the airport, we had to pick our hire car up and fight our way through peak traffic to the hotel, I barely made it in time. I dashed into my room, ditched my suitcase and dashed back outside to wait for my lift. Dinner on the plus side was lovely. We stopped out at a beautiful Italian restaurant where I took advantage of the wood-fired pizza oven, and we topped off the evening with a dessert pizza. It sounds odd, I know, but it was lovely. It's basically a very thin base, with chocolate sauce, chocolate brownie, ice-cream and raspberries on top. Very delicious. The main thing though, was getting to see my Great Aunt, who travels very rarely, and the last time that I was in Adelaide, was 1988 during our long service leave, and I was 2. I don't really remember the trip that well, so it was nice to Adelaide now that I can appreciate all the historical architecture.

For the day, I wore my newest 1930s dress. I didn't get any photos of it, what with all the dramas of the day I felt like I was run off my feet. But the next time I wear it, I will make sure to get some shots. I used one of my vintage patterns, the dress is basically a shirtwaist with a 4 gore skirt attached, that has a slight flare to it. The shirtwaist is built on a yoke with gathering at the front and back to give a fullness in the bodice, it is then gathered into the waist of the skirt, the sleeves are full at the top with pleats to make them fit the arm at the hem. I also made the belt which just ties in a double knot in front. It's made out of burgundy cotton, so it will be very nice to wear come summer. Must get photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment