Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adelaide 2010 Day 2

I thought it might be easier to read of my weekend journeys if I put them up day by day. So, we come to Saturday. (I will put the rest of my ball photos up on facebook.)

After tossing and turning on my hard bed through the night, it was rather nice to get all dressed up in Vintage to head out fabric shopping. The lovely Wenz and I were ready early, so we sat down to a continental breakfast at our hotel restaurant "The Snooty Fox". With a full belly, we were ready to go. Our first stop was DKs fabrics. Price-wise, I would not say that they are great (apart from the sale fabric), but they do have a very large range, which is one of the most important things when fabric shopping. I picked up a couple pieces - a remnant of blue dupion silk, and 3m of a blue polkadot fabric that is perfect for a 1920s or 1930s dress. Funnily enough, they actually had the same fabric for sale that I had made my dress out of, only I paid $3.95/metre instead of $14.

Our next stop on the map was to caffinate up for the day. A quick stop for food and coffee and we were back on the fabric road and on our way to Eastern Silk. I shop through Eastern Silk online quite a bit, as it is my place to go for silk. They have a lovely range of items and best of all, free shipping within Australia. But one thing that they have in the store is a larger range of embroidered silks and stripe silks. I could not leave without getting a few metres of a lovely pink and yellow stripe. To me, it screams Georgian. At this stage, I don't know what I will be using it for, but I knew that I would regret not purchasing some. The other lovely touch at Eastern Silk is the decor. It is actually split into to shops, which are a lovely vintage style on the outside with modern fittings. One is all the homewares...


and the other is pure fabric....


After making our way back to the hotel, I decided it was time to relax for a little while. At least until Abi came over to start getting ready for the evening ahead. The reason for our journey south... the annual Australian Costumer's Guild ball. We were a little late arriving to the ball (actually, we were a lot late) we went out for dinner beforehand and unfortunately were so intent on catching up that we did not realise that an hour had passed before we had even been brought our food. Note to self in the future, either get dressed first or get takeaway. At any rate, I had an absolutely fantastic time being there. I wore my Alice In Wonderland White Queen costume that I had made for supanova earlier this year, though I did have a new wig, which is just the perfect colour. (Amazing after all the drama I went through with the first two wigs that I bought). And even better I was photographed with a fellow costumer as Red Queen, her husband as the Mad Hatter and her daughter as Alice. It was great to see so many people that I don't see all that often, and to get the whole experience of the annual ball. I think I can safely say that I will be going next year, and may be convinced to enter the competitions too....


No comments:

Post a Comment