Monday, September 6, 2010

Bye Bye Weekend

Well, my weekend powered along and disappeared before I knew it. On Saturday afternoon, I headed on out to a Kaleidoscope Dance evening where we were facilitating the dancing for a Birthday Party. I dug out my pink cotton and silk regency gown that I made for JAFA earlier this year. I am so glad that I actually got to wear one of my evening gowns for something, it doesn't happen often, but I saw the opportunity and thought why not. And this was the first time that I had done my hair in regency since I got it chopped off. I'm not sure if I mentioned it at all, but I went from almost waist length hair back to a short 1920s style bob. It has grown a bit since I got it cut, but I am still liking it, and actually enjoying finding new ways to style my hair. Anyway, I whipped up into some hot rollers for an hour in the afternoon, and once I had some curl to it, I pinned up on top of my head (as much as one can), added some pearl tipped pins and some fake roses. I was actually very pleased with how my hair turned out. I didn't end up taking that many photos, but here are the couple that I did get...


On the sewing front, I spent Saturday morning cutting out my fabric. I ended up using almost all of the 6 metres of white muslin. I did flat line the back of the bodice, sleeves and waistband with cotton voile though, just to give it a bit more body. I think where all the fabric got used up though was in the skirts. Both front and back are very full to give a soft gathered floaty sort of appearance, but I also decided to build in a petticoat. Because of the shape of the bodice in the front, I will be unable to wear my existing petticoat or stays underneath the dress, and with the muslin being so thin, I thought it prudent to add an extra layer. It's one of the concessions that you tend to make with muslin. You want the floatiness of the fine fabric but you are also after some form of modesty. I guess I could have made a full length chemise to put underneath, and I may yet do so, but since I had enough fabric, building in a petticoat was just the easier method. On that note though, the petticoat is not as full as the skirt.

Yesterday afternoon (after my 2-hour-long 10 minute nap) I decided it was high time to get cracking on some more of the dress. I was bailed up all morning and lunch pampering my father with baking as it was father's day. I sat up into the late hours of the night sewing away. Currently, I have a put together bodice with sleeves and it is all sewn onto the underbust waistband. Tonight I am hoping to get the skirts sewn on, and then it is just a matter of finishing the back closure of the gown, gathering up the sleeves for decoration and hemming the dress. My plans are to get the gown itself finished this week so that I can spend Saturday getting a new bonnet and waist sash done. I just need to decide what colour I am going to use...



(I didn't realise that I had so many options until I dug them all out). And then comes the bonnet pattern option....



Opinions anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment