Thursday, April 2, 2009

1907 Afternoon Gown - Part 2

And Voila. We have my completed Edwardian hat. Please take into account that my outfit is white cotton and teal green taffeta. The straw hat base I picked up on Ebay, it was cheap and perfect for what I want to use it for. Even better, I can perch it on top of my head / wad of hair like I have seen in all my fashion plates and pattern books. In terms of decoration, I started with a band of white velvet ribbon, I then glued in the ostrich feather and the peacock feathers. I had to secure them down to the had with thread so that they draped correctly across where I wanted them. I then added my silk bow at the back, and got stuck into adding the little foam roses and velvet leaves all over the place. I rather like how it looks, but I really cannot wait to wear the whole outfit.

That being said, after lacing into my S-bend corset (1 inch comfortable waist reduction thank-you very much), I realised that I will need to re-make this one. I probably will not get it done in time for Miegunyah house, but I will definitely be adding it to my list. Some of the fabric has pulled out of the seams in a couple of places, I bled all over it where I jabbed my finger and it is now a little too big in a couple of places. To be fair, it was the first one that I made. Prior to making it up, I had only done the mock up. Next time though, I will pick some nicer fabric and make it 3 layers. I really didn't feel that this one was strong enough. It will do for our upcoming event, but I know that I will need a new one. Hey, now that my extra leave for Easter has been approved, I may just manage to find the time to put one together.

No comments:

Post a Comment