Thursday, April 21, 2011

JAFA 2011 - Saturday Program

Looking at the program for Saturday morning, my fellow housemates and I weren't really interested in any of the sessions on offer. We were however, supremely interested in heading to the local shopping centre to pick up a few food supplies and the blessed morning coffee (or in my case, hot chocolate). Of course, this leads to us taking photos of ourselves while in our modern surrounds. I think there were a few shoppers who got a bit of a surprise, and thanks to my cousin for having her little camera on hand for our happy snaps.
We headed back to the festival in time for my presentation on regency hairstyling. For those interested, my next post will be my presentation notes, but those in the actual workshop got to see a whole hairstyle emerge on two lucky candidates. The first having her hair curled and wrapped in a turban, the second (my cousin with very straight hair) having it styled into a rolled hairdo with large barrel curls that were very similar to pinned victory rolls. It was a little nerve wracking but, I had a very good turn out, so much to the point that one of my friends that was running late turned up to a sign on the door "session full". And then there was the camera. ABC news were filming at the festival and decided to shove the camera in our faces for the session. As it turns out, I ended up with a very small flash appearance on the news.
Donna also gave her second workshop session on Saturday - picnic games. It was neat to get up and have a go at some of the games that we have not yet tried in our historical re-enacting. I adored her handmade battledores and could not help but laugh at the perfect poses she pulled for a game of graces.
The afternoon session had me doing my final presentation on regency cosmetics and how to get the look using modern makeup. I found that I was really very comfortable in this session. Mainly because it is my strength. I'm a trained makeup artist and am very comfortable talking about makeup. I know what I am doing. Again, I had a good turn out for the session and two models who came out with appropriate regency makeup.

Costume wise, again we found some time for a photoshoot session or two - exploring the lovely grounds of the church and the beautiful roses. I have it on good authority that the roses smelt divine, but I was not really in the condition to go smelling flowers. I had contracted a case of hayfever since touching down in Canberra.
It tuned out that I chose the perfect day to wear my cashmere half robe. The day turned rather cold with a whipping wind. I'm glad that I thought to make something to wear over my white muslin gown, but it was nice to get photos of it all again. The bonnet was a last minute endeavour that I threw together the weekend before we left. I'm not sure that I like it with this ensemble and am contemplating something a little nicer for the next time I wear my robe. I have to admit I am rather partial to the top hat styled hats and am more than willing to give it a go.

2 comments:

  1. Love the modern world snaps! It's so fun to wear historical in real life.

    I'm sad I missed your presentations at JAFA. One of these years I really am going to make it. I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the looks that people give you when you wear any sort of costume in the supermarket. They just can't get their heads around it all.

    It might be a couple years before I myself make it back to JAFA. There is so much on in April and my re-enactment group are thinking that we might be heading down Sydney way next year.

    ReplyDelete