Saturday, April 26, 2014

Easter Sunday Picnic

On Easter Sunday, I frocked up in my tartan 1870s bustle gown and headed out to Fort Lytton, Brisbane's own historical site for a Victorian Picnic organised by the re-enactment group 19th Century Queensland.

The day was still a bit warm for all the layers, but I was really happy with how my new bustle frame and petticoat held out my skirts. And I always love the opportunity to wear my bustle dress. Thankfully, being made of linen, cotton and silk, it at least breathed in the weather. I styled up one of my new lace front wigs to go with the outfit and my hat. I even topped off my outfit with a little mouse brooch that I used to wear to Sunday School when I was little. 

It was a lovely outing and nice to see so many people show up, despite the fact that it was Easter Sunday. It was odd for me to be there without my parents who I usually drag along to these things, but alas, they were tripping away down Sydney way for the Easter break. It was a relaxing afternoon, sitting in the shade, chatting to friends, snacking on sandwiches and tea. We rounded out our afternoon with a promenade around the grounds.

I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked, but there were many photographers on site, so there are a good number of photos floating around on the internet out there.

5 comments:

  1. You can really pull off a bustle gown, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I really need more bustles in my life!

      Delete
  2. I adore that bustle gown! it looks like a great day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I put so much time into getting it right that I love wearing it now. But I do want more bustles. I feel like I keep pulling out the same one for every event.

      Delete
  3. The gown looks beautiful, especially its color, and I really love the hat you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete