Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pride and Prejudice

Originally I had a free weekend all set for last weekend. But then on Friday I got a text message from one of my good friends asking if I would like to join her and a few friends at a community theatre production of Pride and Prejudice. She had actually helped with the costuming and a number of her personal costume pieces were in the show. It was their closing night.

So, we all donned our Regency finest and headed into town for an evening at the theatre. I pulled out my 1823 ballgown, and fortunately was able to squeeze into it even though I have changed shape quite a bit since I made it three years ago. I popped on one of my new lace front wigs, draped on a shawl and laced up my new American Duchess regency boots.

The production itself was quite an interesting take on the story. It was quite condensed (as it has to be) to fit into the three hour timeframe, but I felt that they managed to get most of the pertinent points into it. I guess my only disappointment was that there was very little development time for Elizabeth to change her mind about Mr Darcy. It seemed that one moment she loathed him, and the next she was in love.

All good points on other fronts though, but I will say that the actress playing Charlotte (Lizzy's plain best friend) was way too pretty for the role. The characters that were played the best in my mind were Charlotte, Mr Collins, Mr Bingley and Lady Catherine. I guess one of the biggest let downs for the way some of the other characters were played were the atrocious fake English accents. If you can't do it right, just don't do it at all.

All in all though, I had a lovely time out with my girlfriends. Even thought it was quite a bit too humid and warm to be wearing so many layers.

2 comments:

  1. WOW I am blown away by your dramatic gown! Such an unusual but stunning combination of colors and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's one that I based on the sketches of an original piece. I was just lucky that I managed to go to my local fabric shop when they were having a $3.95 / metre sale. :)

      Delete