Friday, January 7, 2011

11. I must be insane

And now it comes down to the JAFA projects. I must be nuts because I want so to make so many new outfits to wear. I had long ago decided on my fabrics and fashion plates (there were a couple last minute changes going on), so I spent the Monday public holiday drawing up my patterns. I am intending to mock up the changed ones this weekend to make sure they are all working correctly. At any rate, lets go over what I have in mind...

1. Stays
There are going to be three new sets. A full set of full stays (my last ones are painfully worn out), a set of short stays (my current ones are too big) and a set of transitional stays (these are essentially my short stays made to waist length). They will all my boring old white, but it is necessary with the pale coloured dresses of the regency period.

2. Drawers
I would really like a couple more pairs before I go, so that I can be historically accurate, however these will be the last to get made, 'cause if I am running out of time, it really does not matter. Most likely I will get these out of the rolls of white voile that I have on hand.

3. Evening Gown #1

Remember my white and lemon silk ballgown from last year. It is going to get a spruce-up. I am planning a waist sash, some silk ribbon embroidery and some taffeta ribbons. 

4. Day Gown #1
A rewear - the white muslin gown that I made back in September. If I get time, I am going to whip up a new bonnet and sash for this out of some lovely silk I have on hand. As a matter of fact, I already have them cut out. 
5. Evening Gown #2
An 1795 gown made of white muslin or voile (I have voile, but cant' decide if I should be using muslin) with an over-draping of apple green silk chiffon. the pattern is mostly drawn up, but I will need to do the draping over the top. I just couldn't picture what the pattern pieces should look like. I am loving how soft it all looks though. I'm not sure about the headwrap in the fashion plate, but I think if I have enough of the silk chiffon that I will make a turban of some description. 
6. Day Gown #2
1795 Day gown. A white voile gown with long sleeves and a drop and tie front that I found in Fashion in Detail. The open robe over the top will be made of a red light-weight linen. I'm intending to draw up the pattern from Janet Arnold, but haven't quite tackled that yet. And of course I will be going with the matching red turban. I think the red linen is a little bit too light in colour so I may need to buy a packet of dye to give it a more crimson sort of colour. 
7. Evening Gown #3
The new ballgown. 1823, Fashion in Detail design. Pattern is ready to be mocked up. As for my fabric I have a lovely faux silk satin in purple and a spot black net for the outerlayer. I am even going to go so far as to stuff the hem of the underskirt. Not too sure about headwear as of yet, but I suspect there will be flowers and feathers involved. 
8. Day Gown #3
A new late Georgian made of forest green quilting cotton. I picked this stuff up when I saw it, because it really just screamed "Georgian!". The print will be used for a jacket bodice and the plain will be the skirt. I'll make the skirt the same way that you do petticoats, with the two ties, but I have butchered a couple of patterns together to get something resembling a jacket. Once I mock it up, we will see how this goes. For the hair I am thinking to use a hedgehog wig, but I would like a new one in a deeper brown colour and less poofy. I might organise a hat of some sort, but I haven't really thought that part through. 
9. Evening Gown #4
And for the last gown, I will just re-wear my late Georgian green gown that I wore last year. Complete with hedgehog wig. 
10. Cape
Yes, there are more. I've put the pattern together to do something similar to this picture of an extent late Georgian cape. For fabric I have some deep red crushed velvet. I do need to get something for the lining as of yet. 
11. Pelisse
Last one. I picked up a purple faux wool fabric to make a hooded pelisse. I've also got some pink/grey faux fur for the cuffs and hood. I think I still need to get a lining fabric for this one too. However I am not too worried about it. I would like to have this on hand for JAFA but I really am not that worried if I don't get it done, 'cause I will at least have a cape. I am aiming to have it ready for History Alive though. I am not going to freeze this year!
That's all I can think of at the moment. Aside from getting some reticules done that is, but they are strictly last minute items that get made if I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment