Thursday, June 17, 2010

Golden NF Bustle Ballgown #1


And since I am working on 4 different costumes at once; (I can be a stupid girl sometimes) I have made a small amount of progress on my natural form bustle ballgown. In this respect, it is the bustle foundation. I found photos of an extent natural from bustle pad and decided that I wanted one. I drew up a pattern, cut it out, sewed it together, stuffed it and finished it off. And voila, I now have the foundation garments for my natural form ballgown complete.

Now, you may wonder about the fabric that I have chosen, but ever since I saw a red paisley bustle pad in my V&A book, I have wanted to make one, so technically it is a correct fabric choice, even if the extent one that I was going from was made of a cream coloured fabric. At any rate, I am really pleased with how it turned out, the shape is fantastic and because of the gathering on the front to allow for the padding, it makes the bad curl around, thus fitting comfortably against my butt. Plus, who could fault a built in cushion?

The next step is to cut out the fabric. I have drawn up all the patterns and I know what I want to do. Unfortunately a couple of the pieces need to be mocked up first (hello scrap fabric) but I wholeheartedly intend to get the toilles whipped up this weekend, cut out the fashion fabric and make a start on the sewing. Because I have only just realised that I will need both this gown and my mum's gown done within five weeks. Thankfully mum has volunteered to do that handsewing on her gown, so that should simplify matters incredibly, but I know that I will feel better once they are at least cut out and I have started on the machine sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find the original image for the natural form bustle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I have a lot of printed images and this was just from one of them.

    ReplyDelete