Sunday, May 22, 2016

Stash organising

And after an absolutely crazy start to the year, my first work summit has finished (what we've been working towards since December last year). There's still one more to go, but after an exhausting weekend working, I get to take the week off work. After the amount of hours I've been pulling lately it was so nice to get some time to myself. And even though I spent the first couple of days off trying to catch up on my sleep, I did make some progress around the house. 

For a while now, I've been planning to make some storage changes. I went through my stash of books and have culled out the ones that I haven't touched since purchasing, sifted through my patterns and am planning to sell off the ones that I no longer want. But the main thing that I have been wanting to do is re-sort my fabric stash. When I moved it all into the sewing room three years ago, I folded my fabric neatly and put together a spreadsheet of everything that I have. However, as time passes, I missed a few pieces on the list (both adding and removing) and the neatly folded fabrics were not so neat. 

A couple of months ago, a friend linked me to a fabric folding technique which helps you fold your fabric to exactly fit the space you have. So, I took the time to refold everything and update my spreadsheet. It took a long time to refold it all, but I am so pleased with the results. My cupboard stash is so neat and tidy now, it all fits on the shelves and it even takes up less room than it previously did. If you can spare the time, I highly recommend spending some time sorting out your stash. You will love it as much as I do in the end...

4 comments:

  1. You've reminded me that I really wanted to do this. Must.stop.procrastinating. Or is that procraftinating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since I was the success Abi had, I couldn't wait to do it myself. And I love the results.

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing! I really should sort through my stash, but I'm afraid I might be overwhelmed with how much fabric I really own... -.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be overwhelming when you realise how many hundreds of metres of fabric that you have, but after the first time I started tracking the amount I have, I made a more concerted effort to reduce the stash. There's nothing more satisfying than being able to say that my costume came completely from stash. I do still occasionally add to stash because I can't resist a bargain, but it's much more manageable.

      Delete