Wednesday, May 11, 2016

DC Bombshells

I can't believe that this is my first post of the year. And it's already May! Where has my year gone?! Actually, it's mostly gone to work. I've been incredibly busy of late with a large work conference which is about to start in a few days. Add to that a bit of work on fixing up and repainting a chest of drawers and I've been a bit of a home body for the last few months.

Don't get me wrong, I have been sewing - mostly in preparation for events to come later in the year and a few wardrobe pieces for my everyday life. I just haven't been out in costume much. I suppose it didn't help that we've had a real stinker of a summer in Queensland this year and I just really don't like getting into my costumes and sweating the entire while.

That being said, I did manage to attend one day of Gold Coast Supanova back in April. Budgetary constraints due to evil dental work meant that I didn't have the funds for a whole weekend of accommodation and convention, but it was still nice to make it down for the day. I myself didn't take a whole lot of photos, but there have been a good number come out from the photographers in attendance.

See, the thing is, I was part of a cosplay group. My first big group actually. And it was great fun to be a part of something with a bunch of fantastic cosplayers. Our group was the DC Bombshells based on the alternate cover art by Ant Lucia. As you can see from the photos below, we had a good number of cosplayers in the group. I chose to do Black Canary. I had already collected a few pieces of fabric for the costume last year, so I jumped at the chance to whip it up and participate. Of course, it wasn't quite as simple as "whipping" it up. Embroidery, tailoring a few patterns, corsetry (to give a lovely silhouette), wig, props. The list never ends! But I am incredibly pleased with how the costume came out and I can't wait to wear it again and maybe shoot it in a nightclub style scene.

Black Canary:

And our Group:

No comments:

Post a Comment