Tuesday, March 19, 2013

All Dressed Up

And then there was Saturday.  I organised to attended an exhibition at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre in the big city of Brisbane titled All Dressed Up - Costumes from Broadway to Hollywood with the Australian Costumers Guild. It's a free exhibition that showcases a private collection of film costumes from musicals. I was incredibly impressed with what was on display my favourite being three of the ensembles from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

There were a good number of costumes dating from as early as the 1940s, and it was really fascinating to see up close and personal how they had been made. The seam treatments were not what I was expecting and in some cases, the hems were so perfectly stitched they were invisible. 

The weather had taken a turn for the hot, with the temperature set to hit 30 degrees Celsius and the humidity to skyrocket. Add to that my train line was down, so transportation plans were changed - no freezing cold train aircon. My original costume plans for the day fell through when I realised the temperature so I set out to wear a 1940s inspired outfit with a hat that a friend had made for me. It was much cooler than my other plans, but I made the unfortunate decision to wear heels that I would not normally wear without stockings and wound up with blisters all over the place.

We finished our afternoon off with a trip to Max Brenner, the Chocolate Shop for a late morning tea before perusing the South Bank markets on our way back to the bus terminal. I ws glad to make it home and relax out of the heat for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment