Friday, September 21, 2012

Gangsters all around

I was already exhausted from the Gaslight Night, then I followed it up with a 2 hour skating session on Friday, so by the time it came around to Saturday evening, I was already struggling in the energy department. But I still managed to get up and ready for the Gangsters Ball. We had a group of five this year, and I had a wonderful time. The shows are amazing - my favourite being the singing stripper who danced to Marilyn Monroe's Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend (just so happens to be from my favourite MM movie - Gentlemen Prefer Blondes). And this year the costumes were a cut above with many people decked out in vintage inspired finery, and not quite as many corsets and tutus on show. I am a snob, I know. But I do like a bit more class with my events. :)

My four companions were all decked out in 1920s. I did makeup for two of the girls - 1920s style. As for myself, I wore a new 1950s halter dress that I had made out of a piece of pink/peach crepe (I think) from my stash. I was very happy with how it turned out and it really matched my currently pink hair. It also just happened to go very nicely with one of my vintage fur cocktail hats. I complemented it all with a vintage fur stole that my lovely mother lent to me, as well as a pair of gold sequin shoes that I bought specially for the occasion. In hindsight, I really should have just worn my sparkly hello kitty ballet flats to avoid the foot pain.

Next year, I am definitely planning to wear flat shoes, and hopefully take some swing dance lessons in the meantime. Along with that, I was very inspired by the girl in the 1930s evening dress - so I am very tempted to go down that road next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment