Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Regency cape

And another one is done. I've gotten a lot of my projects to almost finished stage where they have just been waiting on some handsewing or the finishing touches to finally get them done. This time it is my cape. I had completely finished it, however forgot that I would need a buckle or tie of some sort to actually hold it closed. My mum stopped in at a fabric store on her way home from work the other day for me, and picked up a lovely little clasp and then it was just a matter of stitching it in place.


As for the actual cape, it is made of a crushed velvet that I picked up on-line a while ago and lined in red tartan flannel. It's only a light-weight velvet so, I wanted something that would give it more warmth as a lining. The pattern for the cape actually came from two. The cape itself from a pattern I borrowed off my cousin and traced up. the pattern is actually a lot fuller, however I had to fold it down as I didn't have enough fabric to cut it the full shape. Next time though, I will be making it a lot fuller. I figured it didn't really matter in this instance as I was making it to be worn over regency gowns with their slim skirts. The cape is completely bagged out (stitched wrong sides together, turned through a split, and the slip-stitched closed) which is a really good thing when working with velvet which just pills everywhere. Absolute mess to make.



With my love of hoods, I had to make this one hooded as well. I was going to use the shaped hood that came with the pattern, but when I was flipping through Janet Arnold Patterns of Fashion, I spotted a pattern for a late Georgian hood which is simple a rectangular sort of shape that is pleated in at the centreback and sides to fit. I really like how it turned out and I simply adore how the large stacked pleats at the back look.


Overall, I am very pleased with it. And I think that in future for my regency hoods, I will definitely consider using the same hood pattern. I would like to make the fuller skirted version though at some point. Probably with a cheaper and wider fabric than my crushed velvet. But at least that is one less thing I now have to worry about. And I won't get cold in the evenings at JAFA.

1 comment:

  1. I love all your Regency and Georgian costuming. Lots of fun!

    (Doesn't help that I'm a huge Jane Austen fan... Pride & Prejudice is my favorite book of all time.)

    ReplyDelete