I spent a lot of time trying to recreate the petitions for the public visitors to sign should they choose, and we were really surprised by the number of signatures that we got. I also made banners and a flag to set up our site and help give the atmosphere. Not to mention the mass amounts of printed material that I had on hand to give out.
We also made time for a protest march around the grounds where we managed to ruffle a few feathers, despite the fact that women were given the vote in Australia over a 100 years ago. And thanks to facebook, I have a few photos to share of our march.
But doing a new period meant a whole new outfit to wear. I decided to use a few inspiration images and aim for a more tailored look that a lot of suffragettes decided to wear - blouse, skirt, vest, jacket and hat. I was lucky enough that I had enough brown suiting fabric that I could make a skirt and jacket, while my vest was made from scraps and my blouse came from stash. I even managed to dig out some fabric for a new corset and petticoat. It felt great to be able to make a costume without having a huge amount of expense. I think the only purchase that I made towards it was purchasing a spoon busk for my new period corset (which I will put up in another post).
All in all, it was a successful day and I'm glad that we finally got to be suffragettes. And Queensland ones at that. It made our display just that much more relatable. And I am really looking forward to doing it again next year. We are even starting to plan a few more elements that we can add to our interaction with the public.