Thursday, January 10, 2013

January and links

Well the New Year has well and truly rolled in and I have been sewing up a storm. Mostly vintage dresses so that I will be appropriately attired when I find a new job later this year. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but as I worked for the Queensland Government and we went through a re-shuffle of everything, my job was made redundant. I was not impressed but I am moving on and will hopefully find something better.

In the meantime I have been working my freelance Makeup Artistry and Hair Styling business. I am starting to get into the rounds of vintage markets doing hair and makeup and selling a few supplies. If you are interested I do have a facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/MelissaStevensMakeupArtist
and a blog:
http://msmakeupartist.blogspot.com.au/
for my business that I am in the process of working on. In terms of sewing, I have been making makeup brush rolls and retro headscarfs out of cute fabrics in preparation for the next fair. So far so good.

Other than that I have been getting ready for my trip to Japan later this month. It's only a week and half away now and time is fast running out for me to get ready. I am making myself a new winter coat to take. It's made out of the leftovers from my regency pelisse, interlined with leftover flannel and lined with a soft polished cotton. I also raided my teddybear fur stash so that it is plush. At the moment I am in the process of sewing the fur onto the cuffs and around the hood. It's an absolute nightmare to work with and driving me up the wall. I have inhaled so much fluff!

I will be heading away for 2 weeks, so won't be posting here much in that time. However if you are interested in my travels - my travel blog is the place to follow. I will do my best to update it every day but I guess that will depend on the hotel's internet connection. It's apparently very good, but we shall see.
http://pkholidays.blogspot.com.au/

In costuming news though, it looks set to be a pretty eventful year. My first project is to work on my next steampunk costume. This one is another take on a safari ensemble - more feminine this time for a trip to the zoo. We did it last year and it was such a success that we wanted to do it again. So far, my patterns are drafted and my fabric is cut. At least I have until mid march to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment