Friday, December 23, 2011

Proclamation Day 2011

The second Christmas event that I have attended recently was the annual celebration of Proclamation Day - the day when Queensland officially became its own state. That was on the 10th December. And that was is 1859, so Crinoline is the order of the day.

The only addition that I made to my costume was to pop on one of my wigs this year instead of using my own hair. But that is more to do with the current colour of my hair rather than any other sort of thing. I decided to use my new burgundy wig, which was rather complimentary to the purple of my crinoline - the one that I made last year. I have to say, I have had so much use out of this one skirt - between wearing it as an evening gown as well as pairing it up with a day bodice.
Before the event, I also got stuck into fixing up my mum's brown evening gown that I made a few years ago. I decided to make her a crinoline for a start. It is put together with some quilting cotton that I had leftover from a vintage dress I have cut out, the regular irrigation tubing, gold brads and twill tape. I used the Truly Victorian round crinoline for it and made the oversized one - more as my mum is a larger woman, to help balance out her shape. I fixed the skirt where it had pulled out of the waistband and remodeled the bodice - removing the bertha. I found that the bertha made mum look bigger on top than she is and added to much bulk, the gown is much more flattering without it. And the crinoline works really well under the dress, you notice the bias skirt detail a lot more now. I will just have to make her a petticoat or two for the crinoline before she wears it again.
All in all, a very successful event. I had a great time and it was lovely to get mum and dad dressed up again. I think mum was very pleased with her "new" ensemble, and I know that I am much more pleased with it.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! Do you have any pictures of your mom's hoop? I've never seen one made of irrigation tubing before. How does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I essentially just replaced where you would normally put the wire with irrigation tubing. I did the same thing with my own (pictures)...
    http://poisonedkitty.blogspot.com/2008/12/round-cage-crinoline.html

    It is just a much more inexpensive way of making it. Especially when I don't really wear crinoline much.

    ReplyDelete