Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Halloween American McGee Alice

My 1st Halloween costume for 2007. (Full costume photos will have to await October and the Party) I have long wanted to dress as American McGee’s Alice. After playing the game there really was no other choice but to one day become Alice. I used just a basic Alice in Wonderland dress pattern but changed the colours to match. Namely, a darker blue as the base colour for the dress. It’s all just polycotton, so it is nice and comfortable and cool for our lovely hot Australian October. There is nothing worse than sweating to death in a full-on elaborate outfit. (Though next year will be something completely different). The apron is just white polycotton as well, though I used some fake blood and fabric markers to get the designs and blood.

For underneath the skirt I made a set of cotton bloomers. Basically so that when I sit down my skirt won’t fly up for a flash of knickers. I had originally bought white polycotton, but decided that I wanted it to be blue (I had a blue dye) unfortunately the colour did not take to the fabric. NOTE TO SELF polycotton does not dye well. So they turned a very slight tinge of blue. I also made a petticoat for underneath so that the skirt has enough fullness to stand out. I did this by using an elastic waist skirt and sewing on some ruffles so that it would have enough poof – the ruffles are blue to match the dress. Add some fishnet tights and a pair of black boots and of course the kitchen knife and my outfit is complete.

Funnily enough, it did not take any where near as long as some of my other costumes to pull together. When I was making it I kept trying it on to make sure that I would end up with the correct fit. I have been through the whole ill-fitting costume before and believe me it was not a pleasant experience. Now I just have to make the rest of the costumes that we will need.


Photos of me in my costume. (Though not too attractive) Unfortunately I did not get many of my costume. A maximum of 2 to pick from. But the next time I wear this costume (I am thinking for Supanova 2008) I know what changes I need to make.

1. Bib part of apron sags unattractively – tighten.
2. Bow of apron comes undone – double knot.
3. Wig the wrong colour – Ebay. (I did not have enough time to get one this time.)
4. Need weapon to complete outfit. – Try to find or make replica.
5. Boots – get my own. (I ended up borrowing my cousins).
6. Blood – smear some on the front of the apron.
7. Necklace – make one.
8. Petticoats – make several. (The skirt just didn’t have enough poof – so I am thinking layers)

That about sums up my additions and changes for next time. And I intend to get them done. As I have said before, at least I have the base to work with. It will just require a few minor changes to perfect the complete costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment