Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What's going on?

Things have been rather busy for me lately and while I haven't been attending so many costume events, I have certainly been busy. Much has been going on in my life this year.

First off, I quit my job, the reason:

I started University. I have decided for a career change and have gone back to study. I am doing a Bachelor of Information Technology at QUT in Brisbane. It's an exciting change, but it means that for the next three years, my life is to have quite a change. I really want to do well since I am investing so much money in it all, so I may not have as much time to sew as I have become accustomed to.

On that note, I have been slowly working on a couple of projects lately. In an earlier post, I spoke about Tinkerbell from Once Upon a Time. And while I am still planning to get that finished in time to attend Gold Coast Supanova in early April, I have another project on my hands in the meantime.

I have been invited to attend a Tolkein theme party in late March. I have never really planned to do any sort of Lord of the Rings or Hobbit costume, so I really struggled to choose what I would like to make. My rationale was to make something that would be a more than one time wear, that could be worn to conventions in the future. I considered making a hobbit costume, but I didn't really want to be one.

In the end, I came down on doing Spelled Galadriel. A costume shown in a very small portion of the first Lord of the Rings when Frodo offers the ring to Galadriel and she turns grey and evil.
I am really liking my progress so far. The biggest challenge I have faced is making the breastplate. This costume is my very first attempt at armour. I really like how it is coming along and I have made sure to take photos every step of the way so that I may be able to share my learnings. The success I have had is making me more confident in my plans for future costumes and I am looking forward to attempting making more armour.

No comments:

Post a Comment