Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Alice takes tea

On Saturday, I attended an event with the Australian Costumers Guild – a trip down the rabbit hole for an Alice In Wonderland themed High Tea. We made the journey over to Mount Gravatt to the Willows Tea Room where two of our members had booked us in.
We had a smaller collective of members in attendance, but we all had a lovely time. We had three Alice’s – a blonde, a brunette and a red head. We had three red queens – a Disney, an inspired by and a Tudor. And me, as the white rabbit.
The food was lovely and a great spread for the price with an assortment of sandwiches, scones, tiny cakes and cookies and mousse to finish it off. I chose to sip from a cup of Super Hero tea – a tasty green tea blend with citrus and mint. The combination proved a little too rich for me after a previous bout of food poisoning at an ill-fated trip to the pancake manor, but it was a lovely afternoon out.
As for my white rabbit costume, when I was planning for the event, I couldn’t decide which way to go. I have done Alice before and didn’t have any aspiration to repeat it. And I’ve done the White Queen which I wore out and no longer have. I then had the difficulty of tossing up doing the Mad Hatter (done that too), the Cheshire Cat, or the White Rabbit. I decided to be a bunny. I used the pattern that I had drafted up for my Saber Lion costume, so it was a simple matter of recutting it out in white polar fleece. I added a padded fur tummy patch, leather footsies, and a tail. Then came the ears (which I will follow up with a tutorial). I attached them to a plastic headband and hid it in my white hair. I topped the ensemble off with a few piece from my Lolita collection – a vest, a neck frill and a bow tie. I’m not 100% sure that I like how it turned out, but a bunny suit will always come in handy in the future – it’s just not a great idea for warmer weather.

1 comment: