Friday, February 28, 2020

1840s is the order of the day

Not off to the best blogging start for the new year. Life's been crazy and I'm hoping things slow down a bit soon, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Late last year I was invited to attend a celebration event at Newstead House. It's been a while since I have done anything historical and a good portion of my historical clothing has shrunk in the wardrobe. So to combat that issue, I decided that it was time for a new outfit. I decided to revamp my 1850s silk ballgown, which I last wore in 2013 https://poisonedkitty.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-state-of-our-own.html. It no longer fits and I haven't been able to on-sell it, so it was something perfect to rework. But I didn't want to just make a new bodice and recreate the same outfit.

I've always had a love of the 1840s fashions and they're a perfect period for wearing at Newstead House, which was built in 1846. And I do have a whole set of 1840s undergarments which does still fit. My first step was to find some inspiration, and I came across this lovely tartan gown.

 

Inspiration chosen, I drafted up and mocked up a pattern before cutting out my fabric. I managed to cut the entire outfit out of the skirts from the previous gown, not even touching my extra fabric. The only thing I needed to purchase for the new gown was some white cotton for lining the bodice. All trimmings came from my stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment