Monday, November 25, 2019

18th Century for a con?

It seems like I am always catching up on my blog rather than being pro-active about posting. Things have been a little bit crazy in my life of late, with work changes, some health issues, and car troubles that time just slips away. But onto it. Catchup.

Back in September, I dragged myself along to the Brisbane leg of Oz Comic Con. I say dragged because I was rather ill at the time, recovering from a headcold. I thankfully only went on the one day of the event, as I don’t think I could have handled much more. But for the occassion, I made my first costume in quite some time. I dressed as Bess from “The Duchess”, in her white chemise a la reine, which is worn a few times during the film. The main reason I chose this outfit was that Haley Atwell, the actress who played Bess would be in attendance at the con. Unfortunately, my photo with her is not the most flattering for me. Though a lovely photographer friend did take some photos of me before I got changed into comfortable sick person clothing.


I thought that this would be a quick costume to whip up for me as it’s similar to another gown that I have made previously. In that all it required was for me to cut the gown out, add in a neck ruffle and sleeve ruffle and call it a day. Of course I then realised that my Georigan stays were now too small. Granted I made them back in 2013 and my shape has changed quite significantly since then. Suddenly my project turned into making a new set of stays as well as a gown. I dug some fabric out of my stash and whipped up a new set of stays (which I still need to finish the eyelets on). And of course, I added a bit too much into the stays and they lace closed, so another new pair of stays is now in my future. Frustrating, but that’s the way it goes I guess. I blame the fact that I squish too much.


As for the event itself, it was a fun day out and I’m glad that I pushed myself to make something new. Even if I’m not sure that I want to wear the gown again. I was a little disappointed in the lack of vendors in Artist’s Alley. It’s where I do most of my shopping but there wasn’t a whole lot of creators. Maybe next year it will be better, and I will plan a little more in advance when deciding on a new costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment